The Region as a Resource
Located in the center of America’s freight network, the St. Louis region is a national transportation hub with an abundance of resources and advantages. The St. Louis region is also the largest freight hub among comparatively sized Midwestern cities, totaling 210 million tons of inbound and outbound freight. Our region is home to the second largest inland port, with positioning at the crossroads of six Class I railroads and strategic access to national interstates, international passenger and cargo airports, and significant pipelines.
Within the United States, the St. Louis region has become the:
- Most efficient inland port system (USACE)
- Second and tenth largest inland ports
- Third highest volume rail hub
- Third highest volume multimodal hub
- Fourth highest volume pipeline hub
- Second highest volume inland water port
St. Louis’ logistics capabilities make it one of the most central ports in the Midwest, second only to Chicago.